Securing the future of Australia’s natural resources for people and nature.
While Australia has always been a land of fire, the bushfires of 2019-20 were truly catastrophic. Over 12 million hectares of forests and woodland were burnt and many capital cities were blanketed with thick hazy smoke. Emergency responders were pushed to the brink as they battled the blazes to help save as many lives, homes and wildlife as possible. It was a disaster that won’t be forgotten. Before the fires started, Australia was experiencing the hottest and driest year on record. Due to ongoing drought and increased temperatures, bushfire seasons are now starting earlier than usual, lasting longer and causing more severe damage. That’s why it’s critical that we deliver a long-term national wildlife and nature recovery plan, and future-proof Australia for the bushfire seasons ahead, so that what was lost in the recent bushfires won’t happen again.
Australia's nature laws are undergoing a once-in-10-year review. We already lost so much in the fires - will you ask your local politician to protect our wildlife and their remaining homes?
What future-proofing Australia looks like
- Strengthening policy: working with governments to strengthen climate policy and biodiversity laws.
- Species adaptation: supporting long-term conservation efforts for Australia’s native wildlife.
- Securing Australia’s natural resources: ensuring that Australia’s precious natural resources are protected for people and nature.
- Innovating: exploring and implementing innovative solutions to help mitigate the impacts of climate change and drive climate preparedness.
Making Australia a renewable energy exports powerhouse
Australia has some of the best renewable energy resources in the world. By harnessing this opportunity, we can work towards a low carbon future, stable climate and a healthy environment for people and nature. WWF-Australia is calling on our leaders to make Australia the world’s leading exporter of renewable energy by 2030. Specifically, we’re calling on all state and federal governments to:
- Develop a costed Renewable Energy Exports Plan;
- Ensure the current renewables boom continues;
- Legislate a Climate Action Plan that ensures stable careers for workers, communities and industries currently reliant on the fossil fuel industry; and
- Work together to accelerate production of renewable energy that delivers a zero carbon future and safer climate for all.
We couldn’t do any of this work without the generosity of our supporters in Australia and around the world. Join us on this journey. Together it’s possible.